Are you a data professional who is able to understand data and how it fits together? Do you have the experience to understand the day-to-day maintenance of a database and also the bigger picture of what a database tells you and how the business can extract greater commercial value from it? We are looking for a data manager who can lead our data team and manage our extensive healthcare and social care databases.
About the role
LaingBuisson has been a respected provider of business and market information in the healthcare and social care sectors for more than 30 years. We have built up extensive databases based on proprietary and publicly available data. These not only inform our 20+ industry standard market reports but are used through bespoke data tools by our clients – providers of healthcare and social care, advisors, investors and suppliers – to inform their business decisions.
The successful candidate for this role will have a good understanding of databases, how they work and what is needed to ensure they are maintained and kept up to date. You will also be able to see the bigger picture and how the database serves the needs of the wider business and its clients. You must have a proven ability to drive business results with data-based insights and be comfortable working with a wide range of stakeholders and teams. You will have a passion for discovering solutions hidden in large data sets and working with stakeholders to improve business outcomes.
You will also manage our data team who are based in Blackpool, alongside our technology partners, Jaguar Computers. While we are open to blended working patterns, allowing you to work at least part of the week from home, we will expect you to come to the office, either in London or in Blackpool for two to three days per week. If you are London based, you will also be required to travel to Blackpool regularly (at last once a month) to work with the team and Jaguar Computers. You will report to our Chief Operating Officer. You work under the supervision of our Founder and Executive Chairman, William Laing and closely with our CTO, Neil Waring, who is also the MD of Jaguar Computers.
- Working with our CTO and Executive Chairman, to design and implement databases that adequately address business needs.
- To analyse data for possible inconsistencies that may skew analytical results, including checking the accuracy of data coming into our databases from APIs.
- To manage large scale surveys and their incorporation into the appropriate database.
- To manage output and manipulation of data for use in publications.
- To evaluate and document database changes or refinements.
- To apply best practices when storing, organising, cleaning and mining data.
- To develop and implement policies and procedures for effective data handling and management.
- Working with the Chief Operating Officer, to ensure that the company’s data management protocols are in line with regulatory standards.
- To manage and provide guidance and training for junior team members.
- To streamline data collection and analysis procedures to ensure fast access to metrics.
- To undertake other tasks commensurate to a role of this grade and nature.
- Problem solving: you will have strong problem solving skills and will not be satisfied until you are satisfied that the data is correct.
- Computer languages: you will have experience using SQL to manipulate data and draw insights from large datasets.
- Excel: you will be able to use Excel to an advanced level, up to and including macros and VBA.
- Communication skills: you will have strong communication skills and be able to manage people below and above you in the hierarchy of the business, and also manage relationships with clients and other external stakeholders.
- Written English: you will be able to write reports to a good standard of written business English.
- Self-starter: you will have a drive to learn and master new technologies and data methodologies.
Salary will depend on experience - please state your expectation in your application.
Benefits package to include:
- Life cover
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Season ticket loan
- Cycle to work and tech scheme
Click here to download the Candidate Information Pack, including full job description, the benefits of working at LaingBuisson and information how to apply.